Ditch Your Moisturizer in Summer for This Product: Benefits of An Essence
Oily-skinned people already have a love-hate relationship with moisturizers. But in summer, dry-skinned people seem to be jumping on the bandwagon, too.
Honestly, we don’t blame them. Even the most light-weight moisturizer can feel heavy and ‘too much’ under the dreadful summer sun.
You’re lucky if you can’t relate, but for those who do, I empathize with you. However, you know I wouldn’t have touched on a sensitive topic if I did not have a solution for it, right? *smirks*
The solution is a much lightweight product that has most of the properties of a moisturizer, except its consistency. It hydrates without feeling heavy. Moreover, it makes your skin glow effortlessly!
The alternative (or a pre-step) to moisturizer is known as an ‘essence’ in the skincare world.
What is An ‘Essence’ in Skincare?
If you use or are familiar with K-beauty products, ‘essence’ wouldn’t be a foreign term to you. An essence is a liquid or semi-liquid water-based concentration that is packed with skin-loving ingredients. It is a product that helps repair, hydrate, and protect the skin.
Benefits of An Essence
Essence may seem an extra step to some, but those who have incorporated it into their skincare routine might disagree. It is a multitasking product that is highly underrated.
- An essence encapsulates the benefits of multiple skincare products in one – like serum, toner, and moisturizer.
- However, its main purpose is to hydrate the skin.
- It increases the efficacy of other skincare products by helping them absorb better.
- It makes the skin soft, smooth, and plump after every use.
- It restores the pH of the skin.
- It penetrates the skin deeper due to its lightweight consistency.
How & When to Apply an Essence?
An essence can be used both in your AM and PM skincare routine.
- Cleanse and wash your face.
- Apply toner, that is if you use one.
- Pour a coin-sized amount of essence onto your palms and spread it evenly onto your face. Dab and pat to let it absorb.
- For best results, repeat the process up to 3x.
- Proceed with the serum and then moisturizer.
Yes, I know I claimed that you can skip the moisturizer. You may stop at the essence or serum before you apply your sunscreen in the morning. However, it is unwise to skip moisturizer in the nighttime skincare routine when all you have to do after that is sleep or laze around.
Can I replace my moisturizer with an essence?
Yes, you may. But it is only advised to do so in the morning when you can’t bear the heavy feel of a moisturizer. Essence cannot lock in hydration like most moisturizers, therefore a moisturizer should not be skipped at night.
How often should I use an essence?
You can use an essence up to 3 times a day. Layer it for the best results.
What is the difference between a toner and an essence?
Think of essence as a hybrid between serum and toner. Toner is more watery in consistency, whereas essence is more viscous and gel-like.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
When It’s Too Hot To Deal With the Weather, Try These Chic Summer Haircuts